35 Farmers are driven to suicide every day.
41.7°/o Increase in Farm Suicides, after Modi Govt. came to power.
|2016||As per Agri Minister’s Statement||11458|
|217||As per experts||14000|
Agricultural Growth at a Historical Low!
Agriculture Growth under Modi Govt. in past 4 years has been the lowest since Economic Reforms began. It is just 1.9°/o (from 2014-15 to 2017-18) whereas under Congress UPA, Agriculture grew at an average of 4.2°/o.
Distressed Farmers Denied ‘Loan Waiver’
Select ‘Cronies’ Get ‘Special Favour’
- Rs.1.88 Lakh Crore loans of ‘Businessmen Friends’ written off by BJP.
- India’s debt-ridden Farmers denied ‘Farm Loan Waiver’ by Modi Government
- Farmers – 62°/o of India’s population denied ‘succor’ as a handful of crony friends ‘prosper’.
The Dalwai committee report points out that the real incomes of farmers’ need to increase at CAGR of 10.4 per cent to achieve the target of doubling farmers’ incomes by 2022. Presently, the CAGR is just 2.5°/o, therefore ‘Doubling Farmers Income’ is another Jumla being played by Modi Government.
The fallacy of ‘Farm Loan Waiver’ by BJP states
- There have been numerous instances of flawed implementation of the fallacious of Farm Loan Waivers that have surfaced in BJP ruled -Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and now in Rajasthan.
- In Maharashtra, BJP promised loan waiver to 89Lakh farmers. However, nearly 30 Lakh were denied benefits in garb of AADHA AR linked application forms.
- BJP ruled Uttar Pradesh has achieved less than 60°/o of the targeted disbursal of the farm loan waiver of Rs.36,000 Crore, although the current financial year 2017-18 is at fag end. (Business Standard I March13,2018)
- Over 11,700 farmers in BJP ruled Uttar Pradesh received relief for outstanding debt amount ranging from Rs.1 to Rs.500.
- BJP Government in Uttar Pradesh has indulged in a cruel joke by providing certificates of ‘Farm Loan Waiver’ worth just 1 Paisa to scores of farmers.
- The recently announced ‘Farm Loan Waiver’ in BJP ruled Rajasthan also turned out to be a ‘Big Jumla’- It turned out that the Vasundhara Raje’s announcement covers only short-term loans taken by small and marginal farmers from cooperative banks.
‘Swaminathan Committee’ of Farmers Rejected, Jumlanathan Committee’ of Modi ji started!
BJP came to power promising “Cost+50% Profit on MSP” (BJP Manifesto Page, 44) On February 20, 2015; BJP Govt. told the Supreme Court that India’s farmer cannot be given ‘50% Profit on Cost of Production’.
Shri Arun Jaitley blatantly lied in his Budget speech 2018-19 claiming that Modi Government has already given ‘Cost + 50%’ as MSP to farmers and will continue to do so in future. If we examine the report of ‘Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices’ 2018-19 (Rabi Marketing Season), which forms the basis for determination of MSP of Wheat, Gram etc. in March-April, 2018; it is clear that Modi Government has not given ‘Cost + 50%’ as MSP in any crop. Please peruse the below table:-
Projected Cost of Production of Mandated Crops during Rabi Marketing Season, 2018-19
|Crop||Cost of production (Rs/Qtl.)||Cost+50% (Rs/Qtl.)||M S P||Difference of MSP & Cost+50% (Rs. per Qtl.)|
|Rapeseed & Mustard||3086||4629||4000||629|
Not only this, a perusal of report for Kharif Marketing Season 2017-18 (See Table) of ‘Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices’, of last year, also reflects that cost + 50% has not been given in any of the crops.
|Crops||Cost of production (Rs. per QtI.)||Cost+50% (Rs/Qtl.)||MSP for Kharif 2017- 18||Difference of MSP & Cost+50%|
Cost of production is different in different states. Based on ‘state-wise cost’, MSP is lower by 24% to 32% of even ‘Cost of Production’.
Govt. Dithers, Farmer Suffers, Mafia Prospers
BP Govt. imports Wheat by reducing Import Duty from 25% to 0%. Nexus with Food Grain Mafia is evident. Total Wheat Import in 2016-17 is 57 Lakh Tonne.
|Wheat Export||Wheat Export|
|Product||2013-14 (CONGRESS)||Product||2016-Jan17 (BJP)|
|Qty Lakh tonne||Rs. In Crore||Qty. Lakh tonne||Rs. In Crore|
In 2015-16, BJP Govt. permitted Import of Pulses at Rs.44/kg. Pulses sold at Rs.230/Kg.
In 2016-17, despite bumper production of 221 Lakh Tonne, BJP has again permitted Import of 66 Lakh Tonne Pulses at Rs.44/kg.
Farmers are not getting Fair Prices, yet Import Mafia prospers.
Companies Profiteer from ‘Fasal Bima Yojana’
PM Fasal Bima Yojana (started on April 1, 2016) benefits Private Empaneled Companies, not the ‘targeted’ Farmers.
‘Premium’ paid to companies is ‘many times more’ than the compensation ‘paid to farmers’.
Krishi Kalyan Cess was brought in 2016. Total Rs 19800 Cr has been collected under in 2016-17 & 2017-18. Modi Govt says, this is being used for PMFBY, in other words to benefit Modi ji’s Crony Friends!
|Crop Season||Premium paid||Compensation paid||Company Profit Earned|
|In Crores||In Crores||In Crores|
Schemes for Farmers: Truth Vs Hype
Anti Agriculture mindset of BJP Govt. laid bare by designed cuts in actual spending on schemes essential to farmers’ welfare.
|National Food Security Mission||1799||1067||998|
|Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana||8363||3918||3559|
|National Horticulture mission||1068||770||915|
|Rainfed Area Development||304||196||184|
|National Bamboo Mission||125||77||66|
|Parampragat krishi Vikas Yojana||–||225||121|
BJP’s Apathy Plunging Agriculture Exports
Agricultural exports declined from US$ 42.23 billion in the year 2013-14 during Congress Government to just US$ 33.87 billion in the year 2016-17 during Modi Government
Value in USD Billion
Agricultural exports have repeated fallen in four years of Modi Government and agricultural imports have risen manifold. Once exports of agricultural commodities fell, market price to the farmers also fell drastically. On the contrary, agricultural commodities were imported from abroad, leading to further depression in price of domestic agricultural commodities.
For the first time in India’s History, Modi Govt Taxing Agriculture
Pic.Above: Income Tax Verification Claim of Agricultural Claim of a Farmer in Bettaih, Bihar
Agriculture sector is being taxed for the first time in independent India — Under GST, Tractor and all other agricultural implements have been taxed at 12% with tyres, tubes and transmission parts being taxed. Even the cold storages and food grain handling systems are being taxed at 18%.